Monday, April 4, 2011

The cup that brewed a storm…

So finally something to break the silence!

Yes, yes we did it!
The Cricket World Cup excitement caught the entire nation in a whirlpool of enthusiasm and this feverish excitement was contagious enough to affect me too. My stance on cricket has varied between unaffected ignorance and annoyed irritation. The fanaticism with which the game is followed has been unnerving but the Saturday that was April 02nd was a day I would excuse the loud crackers and the joyous cheers – I couldn’t help but smile at the ardent fan following the game and the masters of it enjoy! (I actually live tweeted the last few overs – change of heart…err no not really!)

But then, let’s stop at that. What’s with the waiting helicopters, the real and replica cups, and ofcourse Madame Poonam wanting to strip.

Each one is welcome to do what they want, but at what cost and whose cost?

The millions worth of gifts presented – the lavish treatment – where does the buck stop, where do you draw the line? You want to dismiss it as mere cynicism, so be it. The fact is we are a developing nation and yes, by all means we should felicitate the victorious and those who make us proud but how much is the question. If this is about encouraging sports, then why only Cricket?

(And now I duck as the cricket fans throw brickbats my way.)

[Image Source: Google Images]

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com